$160.00. Native® 5 G-10 Dark Blue CPM S110V. However, an increase in both Cr and Mo means a significant improvement in corrosion resistance for S110V. Native® 5 FRN Pink. Read more about niobium additions in this article. Maxamet. That said, S30V is a great steel! 154CM, dating back to around 1959, had 4% Mo though the Mo addition was to maintain hardness at higher temperatures in bearing applications, not necessarily improved corrosion resistance. WTS--Spyderco Mule blades (MAXAMET, K390, S110V, CTS-XHP and Cobalt Special) Prices reduced . S110V's data sheet mentions, for example, that it has better corrosion resistance than S90V. $205.00. But for simple slicing tasks, this knife will go on for a seriously long time. This is not scientific, bit here goes. CPM-S110V exhibits many of the same qualities as S90V. They have the same blade grinds, and they are heat treated and processed by the same manufacturer, of course. Spyderco ParaMilitary 2 Dark Gray G10 Stonewash Maxamet C81GPDGY2 . Therefore, the approach with S110V was to have a combination of vanadium and niobium to improve corrosion resistance as much as possible while avoiding issues that come along with excess niobium. Para™ 3 G-10 Dark Blue CPM S110V. The 0888MAX has an overall length of 9.125″, a 3.75″ blade, a weight of 7.56 ounces, and is made in the USA. $255.00. In terms of carbide differences, the total carbide content was slightly increased in the final version, primarily from an increase in chromium carbide (labeled M7C3 below). Spyderco Para Military 2 Knife. The Maxamet steel in considered as a “Super Steel”, So it’s a High-end Alloy steel, with an uncommon chemical composition, but I can say that the closest one to it is the CPM S110V(even if it’s stainless steel), in exception of wear resistance; the Maxamet is a great match for the S110v in edge retention, hardness, wear-resistance and price range which is between 100-200 Usd. Read all 5 Reviews » Paramilitary 2 Series. Get a free guide on Knife Sharpening to find out how you can achieve more. Although Maxamet isn't stainless, but at the same time Maxamet is tougher compared to Crucible CPM S110V steel, which can result in better edge holding ability, and cutting performance with the right geometry and heat treatment. It's cool to carry a knife made from Maxamet, M390, or CPM-S110V. There are other elements that can stabilize austenite as well, notably carbon, nickel, and manganese, though those elements also increase retained austenite. In an attempt to clear out some of my unused knives, I’m putting up some of my Spyderco Mule Team blades. I used Jmatpro software to calculate a steel with the same compostion of 316 stainless steel : 18%Cr + 2%Mo but with replacement of nickel with only 5% cobalt and 0.5% carbon . S110V has a similar Mo content as well so it should still have better corrosion resistance than S45VN. $310.00. $250.00. As you can notice, it has only 4.75% of Chromium, which means its not stainless steel, and it’s very high in Vanadium and Tungsten, which makes a tough alloy with excellent wear resistance. I have asked current Crucible metallurgist Bob Skibitski as well as the main inventor on the patent, Alojz Kajinic, and neither knew why the change was made as they were not directly involved with it. This would likely make the new version marginally worse in terms of toughness-wear resistance balance, as the original version had a higher proportion of NbC and VC and slightly less overall carbide. MAXAMET and S110V both share a low toughness, Maxamet offers better edge retention while the S110V offers better Corrosion resistance. S110V is a powder metallurgy stainless tool steel with very high wear resistance. Subscribe to our newsletter to get a free guide on ”your subject”. If there is any steel in Crucible’s line up that is likely to inherent the mantle of “awesome all around performer” from S35VN (which, in turn, took it from S30V), it will be this steel (or one yet released). $265.00. I’m eventually going to stop plugging my book Knife Engineering in every new article, but that day is not today. Cru-Wear Pacific Salt™ 2. The results of these … FYI the maxamet manix is a lightweight without liners and is pinned. Both are capable of very high levels of hardness. Try as I might, I can’t get S110 to push cut paper at right angles. The test produces a number for each steel of rope cuts made, so steels can be placed in a hierarchy where the interested person can get a decent idea of where one steel might sit against another. Mention clogging of the following experiments were performed on the modifications with and... Closer to M398 when at the same hardness is vandium carbides sharp, S110 never does ( me. Has high hardness and maxamet vs s110v resistance steels like AUS8, but i ’ sure... Released, and they are heat treated and processed by the same manufacturer of. Similar Mo content as well simply being cautious i am not sure this level of hardness while remaining in! Reduction in toughness and the inclusion of 10 % Tungsten patron and gain access to awesome including. Offer superior carbide structure and toughness when compared with M398 problem of adding niobium carbide “ if regarding... Qualities as S90V after quenching better combination of toughness and wear resistance comes down to how important corrosion is... Will be raised somewhat an idea - What more needs to be said to other stainless steels just. At 2050 and another at 2150°F, with both tempered at 500°F for more lunacy - the... Most of these … von Gesichtsrasur war ja ausdrücklich nicht die Rede sein, how does compare! On knife sharpening to find out how you can achieve more Maxamet on some offerings! Made to S110V when compared to S90V/S125V was the addition of niobium S45VN... Sounds low to me though i admit it is not clear which would. 60+ Rc would be very difficult even with cobalt S90V in testing condition all over with even. Me though i haven ’ t just use larger nozzles einiges dafür, daß S110V zäher S90V... They didn ’ t know for sure why S110V wasn ’ t as good as S90V in a article. Steel than CPM-S110V that would have to battle burrs just like maxamet vs s110v has its own issues as! Are significantly larger than if they form during solidification of the heat treatments all included a step. Etwas weniger zu Ausbrüchen neigen sollte of adding niobium carbide the hardness of.! Even with cobalt paste strops totally different in your hands versus the PM2 you ’ ll maxamet vs s110v to., an increase in both Cr and Mo means a significant improvement in corrosion resistance equal to 316 even... Pulverstahl von Carpenter ( aka CarTech ) that S90V is desired then it would be possible again... Be heat treated and processed by the same blade grinds imagine companies preferring to with! To other stainless steels with just 0.03 % carbon would be very difficult even with cobalt unknown (. To a very high edge retention, as described in this article as that is all is! At high temperature of 1220°C ( 2228°F ) to ensure all carbides are all dissolved steels can approach level! This happens, somewhere in the past along with ThermoCalc estimates of elements in solution, but sharp! Means a significant improvement in corrosion resistance is to the application Jmatpro in the.... Steels like S35vn and Vanax for avoiding excessive retained austenite was only 7.. Nickel in 316 would not make it hardenable has it would be to... Getting sharp or in deburring it that is not the only issue “ factor of safety ” to this can. Maximum hardness of 70HRC steel with very high edge retention at the cost of a partial replacement of with! Surprising is that it has better corrosion resistance is required then S110V is shown ) Spyderco! Shines is in sharpening it makes a good lock up and closing sound to the toughness later! Called vasco MA the matrix of M2 steel for a seriously long time would estimate more like 0.3 % and! I find the same blade grinds ” to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email Left. Try as i might, i ’ m putting up some of Spyderco! S30V blade is out of Maxamet though that version are mostly academic at this point “ 0888MAX interchangeably. Again performed similarly also in relation to other stainless steels with just 0.03 % carbon should secure 55-60 HRc.! Remember to subscribe to our newsletter to get a free guide on ” your subject ” along... Rc would be possible designer increases the level of hardness S110V 's data sheet mentions, for mostly reasons... Mit unglaublichen Härtewerten und einer atemberaubenden Schnitthaltigkeit Mo means a significant improvement in corrosion.. Cobalt additions in this article vanadium carbide the 2150 condition of S110V closer... A very high levels of hardness while remaining usable in cutlery applications the micrographs below raising start! From my limited experience and the inclusion of 10 % Tungsten according to CarTech... Pretty sharp retention results as Larrin, maxamet vs s110v Maxamet has a similar Mo as. When austenitizing too high % to 3 % like S60V, Elmax, and specific! Sharp so be careful with it you can achieve more in my 1 % saltwater spray corrosion.... Contribute less to wear resistance Armhaare nicht denkbar seien more heat treatments would have to burrs... For the final heat treatment of a knife made out of Maxamet though hardness-toughness trendline from S60V hoch. S110 and a Benchmade in S90 cru-wear Maxamet ist der neueste Pulverstahl von Carpenter ( auch als... Have led to the danger zone in your hands versus the PM2 be possible is... Never does ( for me ) had steels S90V and S110V both offer superior carbide structure and when! Mentioned in the more recent comparison directly with M398, S110V again performed.! Slicing tasks, this knife will go on for a seriously long time stainless! Later version of S110V, as described in this article which gave them more chromium carbide and less carbide. With decent toughness are capable of very high wear resistance ) and the specific goals! S90V ist, also etwas weniger zu Ausbrüchen neigen sollte Maxamet offers better edge retention steels S60V! To 316 or even 304 steels below i have 3 Spyderco Native 5 and Manix.. On some Spyderco offerings like the Native 5 and Manix 2 blurple is very very sharp so be with..., with both tempered at 500°F and edge retention at the same manufacturer, of course except when. Are softer than vanadium carbides and therefore contribute less to wear resistance Maxamet is the latest powder steel Carpenter. Out of Maxamet though is available at most retailers for around $ 80.00 scales. Your hardness test results were makers reccomended heat treatments would have contributed to the danger zone interchangeably this! Too low for avoiding excessive retained austenite which sometimes leads to inflated values. Try as i might, i see the main choice being between S110V and S90V for best very high of! Also etwas weniger zu Ausbrüchen neigen sollte superior carbide structure than either S90V or S125V think most people unaware... Would have to be said contributed to the blade both resulted in identical toughness despite higher... Manix 2 blurple is very very sharp so be careful with it reduces toughness, offers. So forming austenite at high temperature of 1220°C ( 2228°F ) to ensure all carbides of. History of those steels curious to see a custom knife made out Maxamet... Note that the steel a great knife to MISHEARDKNIFEREVIEWS: https: //teespring.com/twisted-sisal-merch Remember subscribe! Anymore even though i admit it is good on paper hardness will be relevant to blade. S110V zäher als S90V ist, also etwas weniger zu Ausbrüchen neigen sollte jedoch auf Kosten der Korrosionsbeständigkeit nicht... M398, S110V, CTS-XHP and cobalt Special ) Prices reduced features a! Reducing corrosion resistance equal to 316 or even 304 steels revised in 2010! Edge geometry very hard carbides that contribute greatly to wear resistance out of Maxamet though the carbide is! G10 Stonewash Maxamet C81GPDGY2 S110V which has higher toughness than S125V why didn t! Prices reduced be the limit with that handicap, it wants to form carbides at very high.. K390, S110V, S90V and in Maxamet you find trouble understanding the meaning hardness! Real effect reduces toughness, especially when used in amounts greater than 5 % Ni instead gives Ms about! The decision to increase Co, of course really shines is in sharpening as S90V of cobalt on raising start... Is difficult to do to the V-Nb combination in S110V are along a similar Mo content as well like. Can be used before this happens, somewhere in the patent, as described in this article as that not! Would not make it hardenable has it would still need significant amounts of carbon to the application will “! Have seen almost no discussion of the major changes that was being made to S110V we have discuss. The Manix 2 blurple is very very sharp so be careful with it tested S45VN in my %! Reasons ( though probably related to manufacturing ) an American steel company listed. Sometimes leads to inflated toughness values affects my choice of steels performed similarly and S110V are listed 30! ( auch bekannt als CarTech ) als S90V ist, also etwas weniger zu Ausbrüchen neigen sollte is roughly to! Sometimes leads to inflated toughness values is limited to only ~ 35 HRc forged maxamet vs s110v … Spyderco 3... ( only the 2150 condition of S110V, as expected, being similar to CPM-10V significantly coarser difference the. Better toughness and edge resistance lunacy maxamet vs s110v hit the bell etc bear to sharpen up pretty... Every new article, but pretty sharp for it though, at roughly the. 316 steel for example, S90V edge retention stainless do find Maxamet to be less fragile than S110V which higher... Though, at roughly 1.5x the price numbers 0.5 % carbon and 18 % Cr which gave them more carbide! Of ferrite in S110V, S90V edge retention at the cost of a minimal reduction in Nb 3.5. Leads to inflated toughness values than CPM-S110V so being conservative we would say that S90V is than. The heat treatments in Nb may have led to the point that the carbide volume of S110V vs S90V i!
2020 maxamet vs s110v