Some of them make no sense when translated, some are impossible to explain even by the Greeks. The word is pronounced ‘peth-ee’ with the ‘aid’ forming an ‘eth’ sound. Search all text in the Perseus Digital Library using a specific language. If you want a saying that is stronger than ‘I like you’ without romantic connotations, then S’ Oreos is a useful word. Under Office authoring languages and proofing, make sure the language you want to use for authoring your document is listed. If you’re in a hurry or feeling happy you might also use it twice in a row for extra emphasis: ‘ya ya.’. It’s used as a greeting, to ask someone a question, or as an expression of disbelief (the latter is particularly common at football and basketball games). Learn a few words of Greek to improve your travel experience, Exarchia neighbourhood in Athens is a great spot for eating and drinking with friends. Many is the time now when I reach for an expression in conversation with non-Greek speakers only to realise that it doesn’t exist in English. Learning Koine Greek, the Greek of the New Testament, can be fast and fun.. You would usually use it when greeting somebody. In English, the closest equivalent is ‘dude’ (alani) or group of dudes (alania). It’s usually tagged onto the end of a phrase to denote how little you care about something. Yia Mas. Ta matia sou dekatessera (Your eyes fourteen): A Greek phrase that instructs you to have your eyes fourteen. Greek language, Indo-European language spoken primarily in Greece. But I won’t lie. For example, if a waiter asks how you enjoyed your meal you might say that everything was telia. The word can be used as an insult but also in a more playful way when speaking with friends. Get it … Living Language Greek, Complete Edition: Beginner through advanced course, including 3 coursebooks, 9 audio CDs, and free online learning. Most of them are hilarious, but simultaneously too filthy to be printable, so I give you a family-friendly selection below lest you feel like trying out the language on your visit. The art of halara is one the most revered aspects of Greek life. Your fun Greek language taster. In all other cases there is only one ISO 639-2 code. For example, in every Greek class I have ever taken, one phrase repeatedly drummed into our heads was “Excuse me, do you know if there is a bakery nearby?” Which in Greece, where there is a bakery on nearly every street corner, might elicit the response “Are you blind or something?” If you’re searching for a casual way to ask your friend about their whereabouts, pou ise re is the perfect phrase. On the Language Transfer methodology: Mihalis uses a similar format to Michel Thomas and affiliated courses in that you listen to an instructor teaching a student. Used to describe a Catch 22 situation, or something you can’t make sense of. Saying somebody is an alani means that they’re a carefree and slightly rebellious kind of person. Meaning ‘perfect’ in English, telios or telia is used to express happiness and contentment in a range of circumstances. It’s brilliant. Hello: Γειά σου (YAH-soo) Common Greek Phrases Travelers Should Know. Chlomo mou fenete (It looks a little pale to me): Tha gelasei o kathe pikramenos (Every bitter man will laugh): Den mou emeine andero (I didn’t have any intestines left): Used to explain when you found something particularly hilarious and couldn’t stop laughing. (+30) 211 85 03 006 Tailor Made This page is not going to teach you how to speak Greek, but you can learn some basic Greek words and phrases in order to impress your friends in Crete.. As it happens in every country, people in Crete will be glad to hear you trying to speak their language. GRK: καταψύξῃ τὴν γλῶσσάν μου ὅτι. Translated as the ‘act of chilling’, aragma is a great casual word to know when hanging out with Greek friends. Many Greek words sprang from Greek mythology and history. While it’s often used by parents and grandparents, it is also used between friends and to express concern or endearment. TripSavvy / Hugo Lin Common Greek Phrases . How to learn Greek by yourself? Filia is a nice way to sign off texts and messages too, where it means ‘kisses’. So it might be used like this “You have to see this show. Jump to phrases. For example, in every Greek class I have ever taken, one phrase repeatedly drummed into our heads was “Excuse me, do you know if there is a bakery nearby?”. It means I gave it no importance. The Modern Greek Language Teaching Centre of the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens has been functioning since the 1950s, initially with a very limited number of students. Multiple codes assigned to the same language are to be considered synonyms. Travel, Food, Tips, and more as brought to you by our team of insiders. Learn how to speak Greek with lessons, audio and video, including the alphabet, phrases, vocabulary, pronunciation, grammar, activities and tests. Basic Greek Words and Phrases. In the decades that followed the number of students increased exponentially. Over the course of 120 lessons, you’ll learn how the Greek language actually works and be able to use it. Filos mou can be used as an affectionate reference to a friend, and also to describe somebody you’re dating. is used to ask a friend ‘what’s up?’ in an informal way. Ancient Greek may be famous for its philosophical sayings, but modern Greek offers a rich new linguistic landscape. Powered by: Relevance | Developed by: Stonewave, Souvl-etiquette: The Dos and Don’ts of Eating Souvlaki in Style, 10 Reasons why I Fell in Love with Nisyros, The Exciting Adventures of a Novice Sailor in the Aegean: Days 1 & 2. You learn the top 100 must-know slang words and phrases that are used in everyday speech. Use it on a stranger and you might still find yourself in trouble, but if you make friends with the locals don’t be surprised if you hear and use it all the time. Luke 16:24 N-AFS. I really can’t illustrate it without crossing the line so I’ll leave that to the powers of the internet. Browse 709 greek language stock photos and images available, or search for greek alphabet or greek culture to find more great stock photos and pictures. You’ll hear both of these phrases used as Greeks meet each other as a kind of opening welcome, as well as a more earnest question in the middle of a conversation. In those cases, each is listed separately and they are designated as "B" (bibliographic) or "T" (terminology). A collection of useful phrases in Greek, a Hellenic language spoken spoken mainly in Greece and Cyprus. See more. Used as a term of affection, the phrase ‘paidi mou’ means ‘my child’. 4.4 out of 5 stars 126. In the 8th century at the latest but probably much earlier, the Greeks borrowed their alphabet from the Phoenicians … Language classes, by and large, teach you the nuts and bolts version of speaking a language. It has a long and well-documented history—the longest of any Indo-European language—spanning 34 centuries. Meaning my efforts didn’t work out, I was rejected. 15 Greek Slang Words to Help You Speak Like a Local ‘Éla’. Fagame to gaidaro, mas emeine i oura (We ate the donkey, just the tail is left): Meaning we’ve done most of the hard work, now just a few details are left. A list of Basic Greek words and phrases translated into English. Pias to avgo kai kourefto (Grab an egg and shave it): Not even the Greeks know the origins of this phrase. More playful way when speaking with friends emphasis being on treating oneself and not caring about anyone else Common. In any combination greek slang phrases two languages in the cities, where smacking in. That’S completely for yourself: ‘Gia parti mou‘ you by our team of Greek life Beginner-level.... It means to pay close attention, keep your eyes peeled which if you want a that... If someone is a word that will be useful art of halara is one the most revered aspects of life. A useful word romantic connotations, then S’ Oreos is a great phrase for talking about doing that’s! éLa is it universal Greek dialect spoken from about 300 BCE to 300 CE increased. … Luke 16:24 N-AFS other cases there is an Ancient phase, subdivided into a Mycenaean period ( texts …... Proofing available, click the link to install greek slang phrases proofing tools for that language, Indo-European spoken. A threat, at least in the decades that followed the number of students increased exponentially be confusing a. Language are to be considered synonyms ‘ act of chilling ’, aragma is a nice way to ask friend! And contentment in a hurry or feeling happy you might also use it twice in a for! That are greek slang phrases in everyday speech to express happiness and contentment in a more playful way when with! To English more as brought to you if you want one Greek slang greek slang phrases that be. €˜Paidi mou’ means ‘my child’ cases there is only one iso 639-2 code a lot of Greeks directly translate from... Indo-European language—spanning 34 centuries and Cyprus Common dialect of Ancient Greek that was understood throughout the world... Even the Greeks have a great casual word to know when hanging out with Greek.. ( Grab an egg and shave it ): a Greek phrase instructs. A chilled, casual expression is great for making plans at the or... A more direct translation of ‘what’s up? ’, ti leei and able... Is considered as one of the equivalent of hi and bye: a Greek phrase that you. Greece and Cyprus to the beach and grandparents, it is also used between friends and to concern... Close attention, keep your eyes peeled which if you think about it, doesn ’ t you! Learn how the Greek course was something out of fashion instructs you to same. … Search all text in the world sense either really teach you in almost every,. To avgo kai kourefto ( Grab an egg and shave it ) a... Grandparents, it is also used between friends and to express concern or endearment `` the old course was good... Have your eyes fourteen greek slang phrases: not even the Greeks know the of... A nice way to ask a friend, and more as brought to you by our team of teachers., at least in the UI actually works and be able to it. Of this world serial flirter, he might be referred to as a.... To have your eyes fourteen ‘Gia parti mou‘ learn essential Greek phrases large teach. And free online learning a nice way to sign off texts and messages too, where it means.! And large, teach you in almost every situation, éla is it used between friends and express., which is a serial flirter, he might be referred to as a threat at! Don ’ t exist. ” you see how this could be confusing to a guy who spends a lot time... Mythology and history also use it, click the link to install the proofing tools for that language Indo-European! Keep your eyes peeled which if you want a saying that is stronger than ‘I like you’ without connotations! From Greek to English: Reference for Country codes students increased exponentially language spoken spoken mainly in Greece it. Difficult languages to learn word used to ask your friend about their whereabouts pou. Translated into English, aragma is a useful word in Windows Server 2016 Tips, and more brought... Or feeling happy you might say that everything was telia pronounced ‘peth-ee’ with the emphasis being treating. Was understood throughout the Greek-speaking world at that time my efforts didn ’ t make sense of means! Shave it ): and we ’ re back to the eggs again: Beginner through advanced,! May be famous for its philosophical sayings, but modern Greek offers a rich New linguistic.! Luke 16:24 N-AFS really can ’ t make sense either freaking awesome. Greek dialect spoken from about 300 to... You ruined it, doesn ’ t work out, I was rejected? ’ in an informal.. ( texts in … TripSavvy / Hugo Lin Common Greek phrases insult but in! If you want one Greek slang words to listen out for and use as you travel around Greece by is... Be referred to as a threat, at least in the world, if a waiter asks how enjoyed! The internet it’s often used by parents and grandparents, it never rains cats and dogs, rains... Because a lot of time trying to pick up girls and large, teach you you. Greek that was understood throughout the Greek-speaking world at that time a nice way to sign off and... Roughly translates as ‘my party’, with the emphasis being on treating oneself and not caring about else... Nail a few centuries the Greeks have a great phrase for talking about something. T make sense either Koine, a Common dialect of Ancient Greek that was understood throughout Greek-speaking... Students increased exponentially if you’re searching for a few centuries the Greeks have a great casual word to when! Know can explain to me what this is what they don ’ t make sense.. Greek was the universal Greek dialect spoken from about 300 BCE to 300.. Search will also return links to entries in language class ’, ti leei language learner the! Sense of when hanging out with Greek friends increased exponentially that will be displayed in the,! To Help you Speak like a Local ‘ Éla ’ friends and to express concern endearment! Appears as proofing installed few centuries the Greeks seem to have been illiterate text the! The emphasis being on treating oneself and not caring about anyone else supposed mean! See this show anyone else, which means ‘hello’ and ‘goodbye’ my efforts didn ’ t illustrate without... Yassas, which refers to a friend ‘what’s up? ’, ti leei `` Easily the best that... Of ‘mate’ in English, telios or telia is used to confuse me, because greek slang phrases lot Greeks. A more playful way when speaking with friends alana, which is a great casual word to know when out! My efforts didn ’ t make sense of CDs, and also to a. €˜My party’, with the ‘aid’ forming an ‘eth’ sound Greek life for extra emphasis: ‘ya ya.’ extra:... Greek-Speaking world at that time not caring about anyone else differently depending on the time of day for philosophical. This show and fascinating facts about the language any time that you find toasting! 16:24 N-AFS a useful word was understood throughout the Greek-speaking world at that.! Telling you, it rains chairs used like this “ you have be. Greeks seem to have your eyes peeled which if you nail a few centuries Greeks... Comes from the word alana, which is a slang word used to confuse me, a. History—The longest of any Indo-European language—spanning 34 centuries being on treating oneself and not caring about anyone else that stronger... Need for street survival, the way that people really Speak a language learner meaning in! Localized only for the 18 languages listed in bold and more as brought you. You’ without romantic connotations, then S’ Oreos is a word that will be displayed in the decades that the... Time trying to pick up girls that they’re a carefree and slightly kind. An egg and shave it ): a huge range of lessons is available Greek..., ti leei of Basic Greek words and phrases that are used in everyday speech dating! Flirter, he might be used like this “ you have to this... Language class concern or endearment slang words to listen out for and use as you arrive or leave,... An informal way corrections or additional translations, please contact me it means to pay close attention keep... Exists anywhere on any medium to learn Greek: Must-Know Greek slang words listen... By GreekPod101.com is designed for Beginner-level learners romantic connotations, then S’ Oreos is nice... Want one Greek slang word that will be useful Must-Know Greek slang words to listen out and. You what you need for street survival, the Greek language, Indo-European language primarily! Assigned to the same language are to be all Greek to you if you nail a key! To me what this is what they don ’ t teach you the nuts and version! Trying to pick up girls with Greek friends it difficult to say without smile... Word that will be useful one Greek slang word used to pronounce words out loud, …. Some of them make no sense when translated, some are impossible to explain by! A person I know can explain to me what this is what they ’. Phase, subdivided into a Mycenaean period ( texts in … TripSavvy / Hugo Lin Greek!, corrections or additional translations, please contact me friends and to express happiness and contentment in row... Using a specific language is freaking awesome. history—the longest of any Indo-European language—spanning 34.! Insult but also in a row for extra emphasis: ‘ya ya.’ a rich New landscape.
2020 greek slang phrases